Tuesday, May 15, 2012

This Post Is Not About The Avengers

As a kid, my mom worked for a magazine distribution company, so comic books were free and plentiful (if somewhat random in their delivery). I got rid of all my comic books when I went minimalist, but later I discovered that I could read them online, and suddenly I was into it again.

Misty had always like them, too. And knowing what she liked, I bought her Joss Whedon's entire 2-year run on Astonishing X-Men. She loved it, but had little use for reading comics on the computer. And so, for the first time ever, I was actually buying comic books.

Last year, DC Comic rebooted their entire line, and we took that as an opportunity to not only try some new things, but to switch over from graphic novels to actual monthly issues. As a kid, I always preferred Marvel, but I’m not a kid anymore (the evidence presented herein notwithstanding). We currently have about 15 comic books on subscription--most of which are DC--but we occasionally pick up other things, as well.

Here is what we currently read:

Justice League
Batman
Green Lantern
The Flash
Aquaman
Wonder Woman
Stormwatch
Resurrection Man
Justice League Dark
Demon Knights
Swamp Thing
Deadpool
Incredible Hulk
Defenders
Chew

Of course, if X-Men just had one monthly title that we could follow without a flowchart and a compass, we'd probably read that, too.

Now then, if you've made it this far and are curious about this strange underground nerd world, this would be a really good thing to start with: Justice League, Vol 1: Origin (The New 52).

1 comment:

  1. I've been away from comics for so long that I find it hard to get back. The last comics I was really into were New Avengers and The Goon. I also really liked Marvel's Ultimate line because you didn't need a flowchart and a compass.

    ReplyDelete