Sunday, January 1, 2012

January: Coke Vs. Science

In double-blind, super-scientific taste tests, most people can't tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Of course, this means that at least a minority of people can. But--and this, to me, is the really interesting part--absolutely everyone is 100% sure that they, personally, are in that minority.

I know what you're thinking. "How interesting that is, Erik. However, I certainly can tell the difference. I *know* that I am one of the people that can tell."

Well, of course you are.

Now, I'm no scientist. But I do read a lot of Batman comics, and Batman is a scientist. He doesn't just assume things, and neither shall I. So, Misty and I decided to do a little taste-testing of our own.

Whilst Misty read comic books in the dining room (and, I'm only just realizing what giant comic book nerds this post is revealing us to be), I poured an equal amount of Coke and Pepsi into identical opaque cups. Instructing her to close her eyes, I first brought Misty the Pepsi, then the Coke. Having tried each--but after a few moments of thought--she correctly identified which had been which.

Then came test number two. This time, I just brought one (the Coke), and aked her to identify it. Her answer: "Pepsi." Aha!

Now we switched jobs. I was given each one in succession (which I correctly identified), and then one by itself. I got that one, as well. (Not bragging. Just reporting.)

Still, I must say, it's not nearly as easy to tell them apart just by taste as I thought it would be. For me, there was just a small tell-tale aftertaste with the Coke. (Whereas, Misty says it's the Pepsi that has a revealing aftertaste.)

In any case, the point is that it's not immediately obvious. You (or at least, we) have to think about it for a few seconds. Which means that if you brought me, say, Coke in a Pepsi bottle, I'd probably just accept it without a second thought.

Actually, that gives me an idea....

No comments:

Post a Comment